Old 09-01-2016, 04:14 AM posted to aus.gardens
Bloke Down The Pub Bloke Down The Pub is offline

Default Little green caterpillars

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Jeßus wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 12:07:54 +1300, "~misfit~"
wrote:

Once upon a time on usenet F Murtz wrote:
How dis these little green caterpillars get up on my elevated tomato
seedlings and eat all the leaves?spose some naughty moth flew up and
laid them when I was not looking?

Probably - or a butterfly. You really need to watch them 24/7 to be
sure. Or
just remove the caterpillars when you find them and incinerate them -
before
they eat *all* of the leaves is good.

Yep. If there's a lot of caterpillars/seedlings, I can recommend
Yate's Success. It's just a spray on bacteria which is perfectly safe,
unless you happen to be a caterpillar, sawfly larvae or similar.
Highly effective.

It was strange because I had two lots, 10 cups big tomatoes ten cups tiny
tomato strains in the one tray and they only ate the large variety
seedlings.have since sprinkled tomato dust on, don't know if that works
and if new leaves will come.

Last year I bought some yellow cherry tomatoes from the supermarket, I
enjoyed the taste so volunteered a couple of tomatoes in to what would have
been a fallow piece of ground. Considering there were only 2 or 3 tomatoes
squeezed over the ground and raked in I have a good crop. However I have,
randomly, red cherry tomatoes in amongst the plants. Back on topic, if I
find any worms in the tomatoes they, so far, have only been in the red
tomatoes. I am guessing that, like me, the bugs in my garden are
traditionalists and don't believe tomatoes should be anything but red. The
red and the yellow both taste fine and straight off the vine they taste
great.

Mike