Old 02-02-2016, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,aus.gardens
Jeßus[_13_] Jeßus[_13_] is offline

Default Goodbye with mixed feelings

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 21:43:09 +1300, "~misfit~"
wrote:

Once upon a time on usenet Jeßus wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 18:30:33 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

Dan Espen wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" writes:

I have just got a new machine that doesn't natively come with a
news client so I am faced with buying and setting one up on it, or
not.

As other posters have already mentioned,
there are plenty of free Usenet clients.
I'm using GNUS, (part of Emacs).

There's even "Google Groups". Not really a Usenet client,
but it will get you here.

Anyway, I've always looked forward to your posts and you never
disappoint.

If you find something online that you like better, please
come back and tell us about it.

Sorry, that kill files are all that we have.
I'm sure the guys at Bell Labs that dreamed this up never
anticipated the spammers and trolls, or the idiots.

I very rarely use killfiles, even spammers are sometimes amusing,
the only ones I use killfiles on are those with interminable pages of
muslim rubbish.

I've been using mine more and more in the past year, previously it was
limited to serial spammers/kooks but it almost seems like the less ppl
on Usenet over time, the greater the proportion of nutcases, trolls
and google spammers.

Yep. IMO the other people likely left *because* of the arseholes. Ergo
higher arsehole : decent person ratio.

A lot of ppl also seemed to have moved to 'social media' in place of
Usenet. To me, that's not even remotely a replacement for Usenet.
I like the fact that Usenet is lean and mean, no window dressing or
bloat... and no moderation*. And no one controls it.

*yes, I know there are moderated groups... but who uses them?