Old 27-06-2016, 07:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default What type of weed is this?

On 6/23/2016 9:31 AM, maf20 wrote:
Moe DeLoughan;1020499 Wrote:
On 6/18/2016 10:43 AM, maf20 wrote:-
My lawn, in certain parts, has been overrun with this weed for years.
No sooner do I kill it off, and scarify, it's back, and with a
vengeance!

Can anyone tell me what type of weed it is and how I can get rid of it
for good?

It is in a part of the garden which gets very little sunlight, is
often
damp, and where the grass coverage is patchy, at best, despite me
using
shady grass seed.

Any advice welcome-

It's a liverwort - Pellia epiphylla.

It likes the damp. As long as that area stays damp, it'll keep coming
back. If you can improve the drainage, that will help.

Great. Thanks for that. Trouble is, it's in a shaded corner, so it gets
little wind and/or sun. Other than the obvious (spiking, forking,
etc...), what other methods can be used to improve the drainage?

In order of amount of effort involved:

1. Use a core aerator to remove plugs of soil from the area; perform
this in the spring and the fall. Spiking/forking doesn't loosen soil
and thus doesn't improve drainage.
2. Reduce the shade and increase the air movement by pruning the
vegetation in the area.
3. Raise the grade by adding more soil (preferably a sharper-draining
soil mixture) on top of the existing soil; reseed or sod.
4. Cut a small channel or swale leading to a lower-lying part of the
lawn to improve drainage.
5. Amend the soil in the area with sand/some pea gravel to improve the
drainage.