Old 29-06-2016, 06:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default What type of weed is this?

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 6/27/2016 7:58 PM, songbird wrote:
Moe DeLoughan wrote:

In order of amount of effort involved:

0. leave it alone, it doesn't hurt a thing.

Excellent point. It's remarkable how common it is for people to notice
something, then decide it must be a problem they need to address. For
some reason uniformity is seen as an ideal: all parts of the lawn must
look exactly the same; monoculture is to be preferred; anything
different is a problem. But nature abhors uniformity, so striving for
it is an eventually pointless exercise in masochism.

i'm a minimalist, we just keep it mowed regularly with
a mulching mower and that selects for plants which can
survive that treatment. the rabbits come in and remove
the dandelions, plantains and clovers for me. there's
not much lawn left here (all been turned into about an
acre of gardens and decorations or mulched).

at the moment the grass is all brown from lack of
rain (2 months earlier than normal), but the other
gardens look just fine. veggies i have to water.
last year i didn't have to water much at all other
than to get things started.

songbird