Old 27-08-2016, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default ping songbird: a theory to run by you

Hi Songbird and All,

I was told that alkalinity blocks the "cracking" of
nutrients from the soil.

Now I have used the self same compost from the local guy that
everyone else uses for years. They grow wonderful vegi's.
I got small harvest of small fruit. Compost did not work
for me.

I am thinking that I am looking at compost all wrong. I
should look at it as nutrients and not as anything that
will create soil from dirt blown in from the desert winds.

And compost, or any fertilizer, won't do any good, unless
I change my soil Ph to crack to nutrients from the
compost. (Peat holds water and changes the Ph.)

And, I have been asking around. The folks with success
with the compose also bought his soil as well, which
I did not do (can't afford it).

Am I on the right track or am I all wet?

-T

I am ready for next year's crop of weeds! Free compost!
I wonder if the chickens will dare show up. Chuckle.
I may have to switch to bolted purslane.