Old 29-08-2016, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default ping songbird: a theory to run by you

T wrote:
I may start burying bolted purslane in my ground pots next year.
Purslane in the rocks is the first to harvest and the first
to bolt.

Can you think of any other frozen tundra vegi's I can grow
over winter like garlic?

chard, but not sure it will survive
being frozen. too high in oxylates
perhaps too... not sure.

no, winter is my time of rest.

if anything grows here it has to survive
the snow and the well below freezing temps.
not much does in the veggie kingdom unless
it is buried. and even then the bunnies
and deer can smell them and will try to
dig them up or eat the tops off...

you may be too overfocused on food and
not seeing the major point, which is that
during the winter, when the ground is other-
wise being left fallow you have the chance
to grow a crop which will vastly help your
poor soil. harvest the free energy from
the sun, use those roots/exhudates to help
break apart that soil. get nearly free
organic matter.

songbird