Old 09-09-2016, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default weed control

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016, Jeff Layman wrote:

I suppose that anything that works well isn't going to be cheap. Still,
that quart should last you a good few years!

I'm still working on it. First I now use an ounce for a gallon. The
instructions are all about how many pints per acre (e.g. 1/2 to 1).

Then the Canada thistle keeps popping up in new locations. The back yard is
about 1/2 acre in size. Some is overgrown. The location where the
infestation started, and where I started to spray, is now clear. But each
time I go out I find an entirely new area infested with mostly small
plants. So small I could probably pull them up and leave no root behind.
But then there will be a big one or two, like inside of a untamed rose
bush.

At the last spraying there were seeds flying all around. Even from small
plants. I hope spraying the seeds killed the seeds. I know the battle will
continue into the next season.

I am also fighting an infestation of garlic mustard in one corner of the
yard. This one will be easier. I pulled the second year up last year as it
was going to seed. This Spring I made sure I got every second year before
it went to seed. Do that again next Spring and I should be done. Maybe a
few seeds take two years to germinate, but I can look for those in a couple
years.

I figured out what the survival strategy is for biannuals. Garlic mustard
likes forests. If the plant was an annual, and a forest fire came through
just before putting out seeds, it would wipe out the plant. For a biannual,
if a forest fire came through, the second year would get wiped out, but the
low first year would survive.

Don http://foraging.com/ e-mail at page bottom.