Old 16-09-2016, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default squash bugs tip i ran across

On 09/16/2016 08:23 AM, songbird wrote:
we're not seeing too many here but while i
was looking at the website for harvesting and
curing tips they mentioned putting out yellow
dishes with water in them to capture them.

no idea how well it actually works, but i'd
be interested in hearing how it goes from
anyone who does try it.

songbird

Hi Songbird,

I was "told" to get a metal cookie pan and pour
oil in in and leave it out overnight. In the
morning to clean out the squash bugs and earwigs
that drowned in it. Have not tested it.

I just hunt the buggers down. They do not like
water, so I stick my watering wand right down on the
stems. The come wondering out. Then I stray them
with chrysanthemum (pyrethrin) spray. You have to get
under the bellies as they are a beetle and
their backs are armor plated. They move pretty slow.

I also check under the leaves for eggs. Smash them
with my fingers.

I can't keep up with the earwigs, but their numbers
are down by about 90%.

Death to squash bugs; death to earwigs!

-T

Any idea why the suggestion of "yellow"?