Old 20-12-2016, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Running waterline into a barn

wrote:
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 22:50:07 -0500, Brooklyn1
wrote:

I'm older than you (73) and I carry water buckets all the time...
perhaps you are too old to have horses.
From my experience living in the northern Catskills where it gets
very cold in winter I have learned that the best way to transport
water in winter is in buckets by cart... hoses/pipes are very
problematic in winter.
And you don't have far to go, 40' is nothing, I can pee 40'. LOL

I already answered you, and explained my situation.
Perhaps you are too old to comprehend what you read on a newsgroup.

If you wish to carry pails, feel free to do so.

I don't care to carry buckets of water.

Brains are always stronger than muscles.
I'll use my brains to design this hose method, and prevent pulled
muscles, falls on the ice, and soaked pants legs.

If anyone on here can stick to the question, please let me know what
materials would work best for this project.

Water hose will work just fine . But instead of using zip ties , use some
tie wire , spiral it around both the hose and support cable to keep the hose
from sagging . At the bottom instead of a drip loop tie a rag or something
around the hose and let the tag end hang free , the water will run down that
instead of into the barn . Still a good idea to caulk the hole too though .
Have you considered just leaving it running slowly ? Depending on how cold
you get , that might be enough to keep it from freezing , but you'd have to
match the flow rate to the usage ...or have it overflow to the outside .
That also comes with it's own set of problems , if the overflow freezes (and
the supply doesn't) you could have quite a mess inside .
Another thing you might consider is a vacuum break at the faucet
connection , lets air in but seals against pressure . That will save you
having to unhook and drain the hose and standpipe after every use .
--
Snag