Old 19-01-2017, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Racoons and squirrels eating avocados

On 1/18/2017 7:30 PM, Newgene McMensa wrote:
Well, the rascals are back. I don't mind them eating the fruit but there have been some raccoons caught around here with rabies. The squirrels run around like crazy - more than normal - there may be something wrong them too.

So the question is.... is there anything I can do to discourage them coming in the yard or backyard trees?

I hung some of the owls with glass eyes and I think that has worked near the owls, but not the rest of the tree.

Anyway, my goal is to keep them out of the year and the trees and not just scare them with decoys.

I thought about putting a solution of red pepper in one of those aspirator bottles you connect to a hose and spraying the trees and yard.

Anybody ever tried this? Or have another idea?

Trap and release, shoot if you can. Red pepper flakes would not keep
squirrels out of my bird feed.

A large Hav-a-hart will catch practically every thing when baited with
peanut butter. I've caught numerous squirrels and a few groundhogs and
raccoons but only the smaller raccoons will fit in the trap originally
bought for ground hogs.

Laws vary. Around here you can trap and kill but not release but I
release anyway. I'm careful with what I trap as rabies is endemic here too.