Old 11-02-2017, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Tunnelling critters

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 19:42:07 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I got 'em . In my gardens , in the woods , under the house , and other
places . I'm not sure what they are , whether ground squirrels , moles , or
gophers . I do know my dog (mountain cur) loves to try to catch them ,
digging up their tunnels and shoving his nose in them sniffing . These
tunnels are about 2"-4" below the surface and leave a hump - where there are
a lot of them close together the ground is soft . How do I figure out what
they are ?

Years ago, we would let the dog off-leash, once we were out of town
- he loved getting the field mice / voles along the ditches -
he'd locate them with hearing, then do a couple front-end jumps
and stun/trap the mouse with his front paws and then gobble it up
quite quickly. He was quite effective.
We soon found out that this leads to intestinal worms - a couple
of different types, if I remember - so we dissuaded the behaviour.
John T.