Old 22-02-2017, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Sandman[_3_] Mr Sandman[_3_] is offline

Default Garden in France

Hi all,

I am looking for ideas for my French house's garden, ideally need to post
pictures of what is here now and describe my ideas and get feedback. An
online forum rather than usenet would be better if there are any good ones
you chaps can recommend? otherwise i can post some pics and link to them
here if this is the better place to get some advice from you kind
people:-)

Any advice welcomed:-)

Cheers,

Steve

Hi all,

Here is a picture of the house from the lane at side of house. Just for
perspective.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMG_0315.jpg

Here is a picture of the long fence as you drive up towards the house. It
needs someone doing to hide it or break it up and I'm not sure what to do
with it. I have put the odd rose up though...

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMG_0314.jpg

Here is the main problem. This area at front of house we want to use in
the
cooler weather but at the moment it's just a sitting area in the middle of
nowhere. I have had a suggestion to create some pergola or structure over
the seating to enclose it a little and create a little dappled shade, or
with a full roof, a nice sheltered area. Also extend the box shrubs
behind
the seats somehow. I am thinking it would be nice to make this area into a
garden but with shrubs and trees etc coming out of the gravel?

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMG_0317.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMG_0318.jpg

View from house.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMG_0319.jpg

Any suggestions comment welcomed:-)

Many thanks,

Steve

The pics are helpful, but I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, what direction does that front wall face? I assume it's south
or west as you say you want to use it in cooler weather. Secondly,
what's under the gravel? If it's just weedproof membrane over soil then
you could plant in it. But if it's, for example, a few cm of gravel over
maybe 20 cm of compressed hardcore then very little will grow unless you
can dig out the hardcore and replace it with some soil.

--

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes you are right, the front wall faces due south, and the gravel
has compressed crushed limestone underneath, so yes, i will need to do some
work to plant it up. But as it happens, i have a digger on site in the next
few months doing another job.....

Steve :-)

---