Old 10-03-2017, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Weather

Looks like we're going to get a few days of rain starting today. The
rain will be good for our gardens as we have had some sporadic light
rains this spring. Temperatures are warming almost daily and the spring
garden is doing well so far.

We're harvesting the fall garden daily, lots of good sized carrots,
beets are done as are most of the fall plantings. Still have lots of
very tasty lettuces and other greens and we've been eating them daily.
Tilly Dawg can't understand why we're eating something that's not meat,
she's tried a taste or two of greens and just makes a face and goes off
sneezing. G

The kumquat tree has been fertilized and today I will fertilize the fig
and the pear trees. Local ag agent says it's time so will do it if I
don't get rained on to much. I hope that sprinkling small amounts of the
proper fertilizer will give us a bigger fruit harvest later on.

Will also get out between rain clouds and use the fertilizer slinger to
spread gypsum again. I do that every other year as the gypsum helps to
dissolve the clay under our lawn and gardens. We don't usually fertilize
the lawn as it grows wild anyway so we just mow once a week. Doesn't
take more than an hour to mow and trim as we have a very small lot.
Getting to old to live on a big property anymore without having to hire
someone to do the job.

Dear wife catches up to me in age every May, she will hit 77 this year
and I will, hopefully, hit 78 in September. I've finally hit geezer
time, got my handicap license plates two weeks ago. I was totally
surprised that getting those plates cost me fifty cents, thought it
would be a lot more than that. Now I don't have to hang the handicap tag
on the mirror anymore. G

We harvested the last of the leeks and the big green onions, both are
tasty and we have chopped and vacuum bagged several bags for later use
in soups, gumbos, and other such dishes. Beats buying onions as our soil
is not good for bulbing onions.

George