Old 10-03-2017, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Weather

George Shirley wrote:
On 3/10/2017 12:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
Looks like we're going to get a few days of rain starting today. The
rain will be good for our gardens as we have had some sporadic light
rains this spring. Temperatures are warming almost daily and the
spring garden is doing well so far.

George

---

We're looking at near-freezing tonight and Monday and hard freezes
tomorrow , Sunday , and Tuesday . I sure wish expletive deleted
Mother Nature would get her expletive deleted together . It's
been warm enough here for all the early fruit trees to blossom , my
peach is starting to leaf out , the redbuds and a lot of other stuff
out in the woods is blooming . This is not good for the bees ...
they're already in expansion mode for the spring flow , which may be
messed up now .

That's why we stay in this part of Texas, freezing is not something we
like. The fig tree looks to be ready to start making figs, the pear
tree has just barely started to put on new leaves, and the kumquat has
replaced all the frozen leaves already. Should be blooming to before
long and the pear tree needs to start soon.

Ow , dammit , quit rubbing !

The fruit trees have had about three years of growth so I'm giving
them a little fertilizer this spring. Will be fertilizing the pear
and the fig as the kumquat got it's very small amount. I want the
roots to get busy and dig a little deeper and farther out from the
trunks. Will get around to fertilizing the grass in the front yard
before long too. That's all the goodies they get in a year.

This is the 3rd year for our trees , I fed 'em a little last year . I'll be
feeding them more this year . Except for the North Star dwarf cherry ,
that's 2 trees now , both died . I may try a different pie cherry , got 2
sweet cherries but prefer a pie cherry for , well pies ad cobblers .

Now I've got another problem, whomever built this house used cheap
half inch pine to separate the concrete on the driveway. I'm going to
be putting in either plastic or cedar to replace the crappy pine
there. Not a big job but it appears that the builder of this house
and several others just like it in this subdivision did sloppy work.
Some of us might want to sue the builder but he's already gone
bankrupt so that's not in our future.

Have you considered redwood ?

Otherwise the world for us is pretty good, grocery store nearby,
doctors and dentist's just down the road a little bit, our kids,
grands, and great grands come by frequently and we know where they
live and when they make dinner. G

George expecting some more rain tonight or tomorrow

Town's 11 miles away for us , I try to combine trips . Yesterday the wife
had an early (fasting) Dr app't , so while she was there I picked up some
onion sets and a sparky plug for the tiller (still dead) . Then took her to
breakfast at the local eatery then on to the local small-chain-market for
their meat sale . Ribeyes cut and packaged to order for under $4 a pound
(but you hadda buy the whole strip - mine was 20 lbs) ... and similar deals
on other stuff . We keep our freezer stocked with their sales ...
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com