Old 29-03-2017, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Greens

We're getting temps in the mid eighties nowadays so the lettuces, etc.
are starting to wilt. Guess we will be back to just eating chard, etc.
for summer greens soon.

The fruit trees are leafing out well and I am fertilizing this week as
per the ag agency says. Hoping for bumper crops later this year. I had
to prune a few limbs from the pear tree over the winter and it is doing
well. The fig tree was hit with some sort of borer but only on one limb
and I amputated that one. The kumquat has completely recovered from the
two hard freezes back to back in February. The avocado trees dear wife
planted from seed seem to be healthy and we hope there will be both male
and female trees there now. We brought a start of our lemon tree and now
have two of them growing. These trees are a cross between a lemon and a
grapefruit and the old one at the last house was very prolific and very
much spiny. The things grow spines up to four inches long so I will
probably be pruning spines again soon.

For a small property we have crowded in lots of good stuff to eat,
preserve, or give away and hope it goes well.

George