Old 31-03-2017, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Could this be the year of the over wintered figs?

On 31/03/17 10:37, David wrote:
One debunked urban myth is that if fig trees produce fruit in the autumn
these should be left on as they provide next year's crop.

So far I have never seen this happen. Second crop Brown Turkey sit around
over winter and gradually die and drop off, and new buds form the next
year's crop.

However this year is unusual in that I seem to have quite a few survivors
on the pot grown tree, and various trees near us that are grown in the
ground also seem to have a large number of over wintered fruit.

Could this be the year?
Probably not.

Oh, and I recall reading somewhere that Brown Turkey is a continuous
cropper but only manages to ripen one crop in the UK; fair enough, but I
also read somewhere that only the first crop is self fertile which seems
illogical.

Call myth busters?

Cheers

Dave R

IIRC, I picked the last couple of Brown Turkey figs in early December,
when they we just about ripe. There were quite a few left on the small
tree, and over the next three months at least half - of varying sizes -
dropped off. But there are still a few medium-sized figs left. As to
whether they will swell and/or ripen towards late spring or early
summer, I really do not know. Somehow, though, I doubt it...

--

Jeff