Old 31-03-2017, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Germination of old tomato seeds-Semi OT obsessive stuff

In a more complete answer to a question a few days ago; here is the
germination data on the tomato plants I'm currently starting indoors .
These are all seeds I saved, cleaned by fermenting a couple of days,
washing and drying. The variety names probably don't travel well but they
should give an idea of how long the seeds can last. These were stored,
when fully dry, in paper packets in an airtight food service bin, with a
couple of containers of silica gel that I occasionally dry out in the oven.
All were in plug flats with an electric heat mat, set to keep the potting
mix at 80F.

Variety Year Harvested germination percentage
Blondkopfchen 2016 88
Bonny Best 2015 87
Brandywine 2012 95
George O'Brien 2012 93
Golden Jubilee 2016 73
Green Zebra 2006 20
Mortgage Lifter 2012 100
Pik's Yugo 2012 53
San Marzano Redorta 2016 98
Siberian 2012 97
Silvery Fir Tree 2014 90
Yellow Brandywine 2007 80
Riesenstraub 2012 97

Before the statisticians take me to task, these were relatively small
samples; typically 5-20 cells, 3 seeds to a cell, seedlings counted before
thinning.

It's a dismal day on the (New) York colonies; barely above freezing with
just enough coating of snow/sleet/slush to make staying indoors reading
garden catalogs a Really good Idea.

Cheers!

---
http://www.avg.com