Old 07-04-2017, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help needed growing a cherry tree

On 06/04/2017 21:22, earthstick wrote:

The tree is about 48 inches tall, graft is 9 inches above soil line,
stake is banded to the root stock 6 inches from the soil line.

Another stake at 45 degrees on the leeward side and put a rubber band in
a figure of 8 on it at about 3' up the stem to support it better.

I don't understand why you pruned it at all until it reached at least 6'
or maybe 8' if on a semivigorous stock.

I can see there are suckers just sprouting from the root stock below
the graft.

When it comes to watering I am careful to water at least every two
weeks with 14L of rain water or every week with 7L (1 watering can
full).

OK. So it isn't that the tree has been starved of water then. Drought is
a common way to make trees fail to take properly in the first summer.

If the problem is that the graft was not successful is there anything
I can do for this tree?

It's quite unlikely that the graft is that unsuccessful. I have known
trees survive pretty brutal bark damage - indeed one way to provoke
fruiting in awkward apple trees is to ring the bark.

I've had it at least 3 years now, I think it might now be the 4th.
Wouldn't it have done anything by now? The apple I planted at the
same time is doing fine and is over 2m now with a trunk that is
getting thicker. The cherry looks almost the same as when it went
in.

Something is definitely wrong then.
Are there any signs of disease when the tree is in growth?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown