Old 12-04-2017, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Companion plants for potted Ceanothus lilac

On 12/04/17 05:04, David E. Ross wrote:

Also note that Ceanothus is not a long-lived plant. Even with the best
care, it might not live more than 5-10 years.

I've heard that "fact" stated many times. I'd really like to see a
scientific study which confirms it, but doubt that such a thing exists.
As you say, overwatering, especially in summer, will do no good at all.
But I expect that is true of many plants adapted to a dry summer
climate, not just ceanothus. I Googled "ceanothus" and "lifespan", and
in the first few pages found hits stating 8 - 10 years, 10 - 15 years,
15 - 25 years, and even 50 years!

I'd be more worried about rapid growth in a container than the plant
dying early. I hope the OP didn't buy C. arborescens! Mine increased
from 4 ft high and 2 ft wide to 12 ft high and wide in barely 3 years.
And I'd cut it back somewhat after two years to keep it under control!

Anyway, if the OP wants something which will grow under the same
conditions as ceanothus in a container he could do a lot worse than
dwarf cistus/helianthemum in various colours. Or maybe oregano/thyme,
maybe in different leaf colours, if he wants some herbs to cut.

--

Jeff