Old 23-04-2017, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Is it too late to replant potato onions?

T wrote:
Hi All,

Greetings from the Pineapple Express!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_Express

We got soaked in rain and snow. Only four of my ~
20 potato onions sprouted. All of my shallots did,
but they got a lot less sky water. (Their bed is
in the shadow of a pine tree.)

Is it too late to replant potato onions? Or Should I
wait again until next fall and plant something else in
their bed for the time being.

i'll have to let others answer this as i have
no experience with potato onions.

I have HUGE garlic plants. They love all this snow and rain.
Yipee! There is nothing like fresh garlic from the garden.

true. i have tons of it to weed out and eat.

Oh and I have got WEEDS! Inspecting my weeds, what is that
growing out the middle my weeds? MY WEEDS GOT WEEDS!!!

if the space isn't being used for something else
weeds are a better use than bare dirt. but if you
have any extra or old seeds around for garden
veggies or other ground covers you can sprinkle
them on the weedy areas so they can get going.

as the replacement plants sprout and grow you can
gradually weed out the weeds and let the new plants
shade them.

I have got dandelion MOUNDS! They are 18 inches around and
10 inches tall!!! I tried digging one up. There must be
10 individual root systems in each mound.

yes, if you don't get the whole root they can
return. good think dandelion greens are edible.

My Potato Onion bed got soaked in rain, frozen solid,
snowed on, thawed and turned into a lake, had
green stuff growing in it, got frozen again, more
rain, more snow, repeat. I am surprised anything survived.

One time, I went out to inspect, but my shoe started to sink,
so try again another day. I now walk on top of the weeds,
using them as stepping stones.

You win some you lose some.

yes, deer and rabbits are in good supply this
year.

On the bright side, my favorite fishing hole will
have lots of water this year! Already caught one trout
out if it!

i can't fish any longer and enjoy it, but i
did really enjoy walking the streams/rivers. i've
walked most/every river in the Keweenaw Peninsula
(many years ago now).

songbird