Old 27-04-2017, 03:36 PM
miljee miljee is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
Boron Elgar wrote:
I have used the un-potting-wash-down-to-the-roots method for some
hefty plants and some smaller ones over the years. Never added
insecticides to the task, but have had success wioth just the
hose-down..

a major mess and disturbance for a large
plant.

a general purpose insecticide may not work
you have to actually get enough poison to the
queen who is laying the eggs and if the poison
is too strong it will kill the workers before
they feed it to the queen.

there are ant poisons and baits which work
well. just use one of those. they are not
expensive and what is good about them is that
they are only picked up by and affect the ants
in question and not everything else. often it
can be done without using too much poison, but
you must keep the bait station filled up as
long as the ants keep taking it. may be a week
or two before you stop seeing the ants.

songbird
Thanks. I wasn't certain if the ant killer (powders, sprays and stations) I was seeing in Asda (was just there) was to kill the odd stray ant on a kitchen counter, or is 'man enough' to kill a nest. Presumably, the key is to kill the queen, then no more nest?