Old 09-05-2017, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default hard frost

On 5/9/2017 7:15 AM, songbird wrote:
wonder how it will effect the strawberry
crop as the plants were in bloom. i seem to
recall that it made some impact but not
enough to ruin the entire crop for me.

the lilac bush was just starting to fully
open up the blooms. as i am severely allergic
to those i would not really mind (but don't
tell Mum that ) if it doesn't bloom much.
just that it was looking very nice this year.

other than that, it is the usual early-mid-
spring here. getting gardens ready for
planting out in a few weeks when it gets
warmer enough. tulips about midway, daffodils
mostly done other than the later ones.

in other news the website is mostly done and
many changes have been made as the spring has
allowed me to get in there. the old flowers
page is now gone and replaced by individual
topics of interest or groups of pictures and
various thoughts (some not quite that i'm sure
as flights of fancy) - using hugo to generate
the site and the theme is called the academic
theme. under that the individual posts can be
called posts or projects depending upon if it
is news of a moment or something i want to
group and access for later. in either case it
can be tagged for searching so that makes it
nice to find things of interest. it is much
easier for me to add things now and that really
helps encourage further updates when i can get
to it.

the most recent update was to the fungi page
with a morel mushroom showing up in the limestone
mulch (of all places) - while i was adding that i
also put in some other mushroom/fungi pictures.
the mixed-flowers page was the last major bits
moved from the old flowers page, but also added
some other pictures too and reverting to the
topic which started this page the edibles has a
few strawberry pictures.

www.anthive.com/
www.anthive.com/project/edibles
www.anthive.com/project/fungi
www.anthive.com/project/mixed-flowers

what is new in your world?

songbird

Heat, and possibly rain, I hope. Expecting rain for the next several
days and we need it. Spring garden is producing prolifically. Lots of
green stuff, tomatoes, peppers are coming on well. Due to frosts in
January there will probably be no pears or figs to pick in the fall. The
kumquat tree hasn't started blooming as yet but it is a bit early for
that one.

Dear wife destroyed a bit of the back gate the other day, doesn't know
her on strength. I am trying to find a fencing company that will at
least reply to my emails so I can have the back fence completely torn
down and replaced with better materials. Looks like the whole area is
getting new fences or someone would have called. Might have to get the
grandson's to do the fencing with my management. G

I am now toting a cane all the time, luckily I have several different
canes due to bad leg problems in the past. Now it is a necessity due to
the paralysis on the right side. Have an appointment to doctor to check
left leg, it is starting to feel numb and that worries me. I'm at 208
lbs now and need to drop about 20 lbs to keep some leg working.

Tilly Dawg is getting around pretty good since she's on a diet and she
still has problems with the barometric pressure changes, makes her
sneeze a lot and she can sure blow out a lot of dog snot. Wife cringes
when she does it but I just grab a tissue and take care of the dawg.
It's not any worse than changing a baby diaper. G

George