Old 22-05-2017, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Pumpkin Patch

On 5/22/2017 4:23 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I tilled, hilled, seeded, and watered-in the pumpkin patch yesterday. I planted eight varieties of pumpkins and winter squash. I planted several varieties that we planted for the first time last year and found very good, including Red October and Butterscotch. Also a few new ones; Queensland Blue, Dill Atlantic Giant, and Georgia Candy Roaster. Will give you a review of them this fall.

Paul

I'll do vines in a couple of days because it's supposed to rain
tomorrow . Today I tilled and transplanted all my tomatoes and peppers .
Also planted okra and three varieties of field peas - red rippers ,
skunk peas , and whippoorwill peas . I'm like a month behind my usual
timetable , between house building and just plain feeling like crap .
Probably not really a bad thing , we had a late freeze just a couple of
weeks ago and the weather has been really weird here with unusual cold
spells and a lot of rain .

I should get up enough ambition to go spread straw on the garden ,
but I'm just whupped for now . Hope to beat the rain tomorrow and get it
down so the rain is slowed from running off . Not that I need the
moisture right now , but my garden is on a slight slope and if I don't
slow the runoff it washes the soil away . I've worked too hard to
restore it from when I didn't realize the damage I was allowing .