Old 29-05-2017, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default pot depth question

On 05/28/2017 05:06 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
This year I came across and six or so holes that I could
only shovel, hack, swear past about 6 to 7" deep. I hit
rocks of biblical proportion.

Question, should I give up on these holes as they are
too shallow? Or since the plant's root did not go that
deep, use them anyway?

root ball mass depends upon many factors
including what type of plant it is and how
it is watered.

i planted daikon radishes in various places
to help drive holes through the clay. some of
them i could not pull out. the deer ate the
tops off all of them last winter so they rotted
and provided drainage channels down the length
of their root.

good for sprouts too (bigger leaves than other
radishes). sold for a few $/lb of seeds at
the grain elevator.

songbird

how deep do my holes need to be?