Old 29-05-2017, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default pot depth question

T wrote:
songbird wrote:
T wrote:
I did notice that the plants did not care for the surrounding
dirt. (I would not call it soil as it has all the nutritional
content of the moon.) It was like a 12" wide by 4" deep plug
of tiny roots.

Which bring up the question, am I placing the vegi scraps
too deep to be effective?

do you have worms in any location when
you dig? are there native worms around
any place you can find some?

burying veggie scraps is better than
throwing them away any time even if the
plants may not get to them directly they
may still be getting some nutrients
indirectly (via fungi and/or worms).

feed some veggie scraps to a worm
bucket and then each planting time you
can mix the worm poo/pee in your soil
this will also have some effect through
time of getting a worm population going
if your worm species can survive your
soil/climate.

in order to get them to survive in a
pretty harsh climate they'll need places
to survive/hide from the hotter or
colder times.

songbird

I just bag them up and freeze vegi scraps. Then dump
them frozen down the holes once a year. Some
day maybe I will get into composting. But
at the moment it is too much for me.

other than the things that will regrow a
lot of veggie scraps can be used directly
without doing much at all. potato peels
are the ones i make sure are completely
dry, but everything else can be buried in
the garden soil without composting. consider
it slow composting.

the issue is that you don't want so much
that it ferments or gets hot when you've
planted something in there. really though,
if you only mix a few scraps in each
location what they are is a very temporary
water source, trace nutrients and some
organic material. if there are any worms
at all they'll find it.

I only see a few worms here and there. None so
far this year.

having some is better than none. at least
you aren't starting from none at all...
to encourage them poke your veggie scraps
in where you've seen them and make sure
there's some surface mulch to keep it
cooler/moist.

if the odd carrot top sprouts and grows
it's not a major issue IMO. around here
the rabbits keep anything like that trimmed.

Last year when I had to dig up a pot, I couldn't find
but one onion wrapper. That was only about a week.
So something is liking the stuff.

could be all sorts of things, mice, beetles...

do you have dung beetles there?

songbird