Old 30-05-2017, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default trying to id new weed invading back yard

On 5/30/2017 12:34 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 5/28/2017 8:03 PM, Frank wrote:
Weed invading banks in back of house. This one crowding out vinca
minor. About yard long, budding, stickers around leaves. Pulls easily
with long thin root. Put through Google images and it says wood and
picture of bank comes back as grass.

https://i.imgur.com/bb03NHG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Jfi4J7l.jpg

That second picture is really scary. I have a bit of this weed which
appears every now and then but your infestation looks like something out
to conquer the world. When it shows up on the edge of my lawn I find
that spraying with "Bayer Advanced 704140 All-in-One Lawn Weed and
Crabgrass Killer", to cite their own name for it, knocks it down pretty
well. You couldn't do that on your vinca, of course, without killing it
too.

Pre emergent may be best answer. Going to have to check on spray if I
can. Japanese stilt grass has taken over much of back and banks too but
this stuff is new in the last couple of years and is now taking over.

Neighbors on sides and back just let back go or infrequently mow. We
live on a hillside and many backyards are left to nature. The wife does
not like to do this and is particularly concerned about upper bank.