Old 05-06-2017, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Overwhelmed by Cauliflower!

On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 6:42:09 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 06/04/2017 09:32 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 3:04:46 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 06/03/2017 03:22 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
We had a mild winter in Maryland this year so my wife got a lot of plants out to the garden earlier than usual. The cauliflower found this very encouraging and they're producing like crazy. We have purple and white varieties, plus the Romanesco broccoli is producing much better than usual.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...tml?sort=3&o=0

Do the different varieties taste any different?

I think that the white and purple varieties taste about the same. The Romanesco has a much milder flavor and a creamy texture.

Paul

Hi Paul,

If you smash the purple one, does the purple
run or does it stay put?

Anthocyanin is water soluble and will run

Carotenoids are fat soluble and will stay put.

-T

Haven't smashed any, but when cooked, this variety stays purple, unlike a lot of purple beans and such which loose their color when cooked. I'll have to try smashing one to see what happens.

Paul