Old 12-06-2017, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Looking to start organic gardening, help

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 4:29:52 AM UTC-4, compo77 wrote:
Wow, guys some great replies and very detailed. I am going to make a
start on the area of my garden where I will be composting. I think for
my first a 2m long by 1m wide by 1m tall will be a good start for my
first compost try out, and then if all goes well I can extend.

I am surprised at the number of different items you can add to a compost
heap. I'm deffo going to get onto all my family members and get them to
save all of their trimmings for me so I have more to add in the
beginning. Time to get my gardening gloves on and get to work. Speaking
of gardening gloves, I do need a good pair that are puncture resistant
if possible. I have found some on this site http://tinyurl.com/yamfnrge
but do they actually work?

As I start to build my little composting project I will post pictures up
to keep you guys updated on the build and the materials I use, if there
is anything that you think could be done better along the way please
throw in your thoughts and opinions.

--
compo77

If you can get any fresh manure around your area, like from a riding stable or a cow farm, add that to the pile. We raise sheep so every few months, I sweep out the sheep barn and throw that on the compost pile. It's just enough to make a thin layer but the bacteria in the manure speed up the composting process.

Also, we have a wood stove, so during the winter I scatter the ashes on the garden and compost pile. Lots of good minerals in ashes.

Paul