Old 15-06-2017, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Yippee! Violet garlic!

T wrote:
I learned that when the seed company puts "overfilled
do to low germination", they really mean it.

i've not had a real problem with that. i
seem to get seed packets from random places
and perhaps for $0.10 each or less. i may
not even plant them for many years until i
realize they are taking up too much space.
some of them may still be viable. and the
rabbits might like them for food if i can use
them as a decoy crop.

I am looking at a bumper crop of garlic, shallots,
and radishes.

all those radishes can generate a lot of
organic material to use as compost or top
mulch.

The tomatoes are still struggling. I have one tine cherry
tomatoes the size of a lentil.

My Chimayo and Sandia peppers have finally spouted.

sounds a bit late, i hope you have a long
enough season for those to get a decent crop.
do you have containers for them or are they
going into the ground?

My Zukes are about three inches tall and developing
new leaves.

My Choke Cherry (4) and Goji Berry (4) have started
to develop leaves. My Goji berry stems are bend
over from the weight of all the new leaves. Maybe
some berries this fall?

yay!

I have Purslane spouts all over the place. And the
radishes are growing like crazy!

And the earwigs are few and are not attacking anything
this season. I still kill them when I find them.

don't kill all of them, if you want a
natural system you want to make sure some
are left that the predators have food.

Next stop, wait for the over winter squash bugs to fly
in, catch them copulating, kill them and their eggs.
Then I will be done with them for the season.

there are so many around here we see them
all the time during the season. i've not
noticed them killing the squash completely
and only a few seem to even get in the fruits
so i largely ignore them as much as possible.

we're scaling back the squash this year to
one patch instead of three. i sure don't need
three wheelbarrows full of squash and the
freezer still has quite a bit in there from
last summer's crop.

Thank you again for all the help! I wait stories of
your harvest!

just starting to get a decent number of
strawberries to ripen. chippies, birds,
rabbits, deer, etc. all getting their fair
share too.

beans sprouting, everything else growing
pretty well. not enough rains. last night
was hoping again the forecasted storm would
make it here, but it faded right on the edge.
and we only had a few drops. so i get up
and water in the morning and then work on
weeding until it gets too hot. siesta for
a while and then back out for whatever i can
do until i get too hot/tired. then that is it
for the day.

songbird