Old 16-06-2017, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Pumpkin Germination Rates

I planted 20 pumpkin and winter squash hills a month ago, putting 6 seeds per hill for a total of 120 seeds. Two weeks later, only 17 had sprouted for a germination rate of 14.17%. Some of the varieties had one, two, or three sprouts per hill but two of the varieties had none at all.

I reseeded, putting enough seeds in each hill to bring the total back to 6. So if a hill had three sprouts, I'd plant three more seeds of that variety; if a hill had only one sprout, I'd plant 5 seeds of that variety.

Two weeks after the replanting, every hill has at least one sprout and most have four to six. The new sprouts are all from the reseeding.

There was no sudden chill or frost during this period and I watered them all regularly. It seems that this happens most years, having to reseed the pumpkin hills for poor germination rates. Has anyone else had this problem with pumpkins?

Paul