Old 16-06-2017, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pond Irises

On 16/06/17 18:47, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 18:42:01 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

The irises look remarkably like yours.

I've just re-read the text on that first link, where he says the
irises are OK, but I'd still check for evidence of lily beetle.

Irises aren't affected by lily beetle.

What they do go for, if they can't find lilies, are fritillarias. They
can decimate snakes-head fritillaries almost as quickly as lilies. I
stopped growing lilies because of them, but I'm trying again. I do have
a yellow lily which they don't touch.

In my experience, the insecticides available to the amateur said to
treat lily beetle are a waste of time and money. Only dimethoate used to
be effective, but that's been gone for years.

--

Jeff