Old 17-06-2017, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pond Irises

On 17/06/2017 11:57, Ian wrote:
On 16/06/17 20:26, Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 16/06/2017 17:04, Ian wrote:
Hi All,

I've got some irises in my pond. They grow well enough, perhaps two feet
tall, but they don't flower well. Most of them don't flower at all, if
they do, then they put out plenty of buds, but then the buds turn
crinkly and don't open properly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bikvkjfue1...47_01.jpg?dl=0

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Think it may just be bad luck with the weather, our native yellow iris
doesnt hold its flowers very long and if the weather is wet and windy
they can come and go in a day, similarly if its very hot.

It's hot at the moment. I don't think that the flowers are coming and
going quickly, it's more like they go before they've come :-)

2' tall is very short, have they got enough root space?

It could be that. I've just been out to count them, there's six or more
in one kidney shaped pond plant basket. Do I need to take it apart and
re-pot everything? When is a good time to do it?

A few years back, one of them climbed into the next door pot and rooted,
I separated them a couple of years back with loppers, was that an
indication that it was getting crowded?

I've got a green fibreglass pond, two feet deep. The pot is on one of
the shelves (~9 inches below the surface), will it be ok if I put it on
the bottom?

Thanks.

My Pond iris are all in about 25 lt containers (I make them bags out of
ground cover fabric) the soil level needs to be near the surface, I dont
have any detailed pictures but below is a pond pic from a few years back

http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/house4.htm

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall