Old 20-06-2017, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default alcoholic shallots/onions

On 06/19/2017 09:23 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

Okay, the stalks are dying on my first ruin of
shallots. Time to pick them.

Now the first dead stalk I pulled out produced
four beautiful shallots (they come in fours and
break apart at the root). I washed the dirt off
them, and put the to dry on a rack in the garage
that I dry my garlic on.

DISASTER !!! After two days, the garage stunk real bad.
The shallots had turned alcoholic.

What did I do wrong? And do the same instructions
apply when my potato onions are ready too?

dunno.

how hot does it get in there? maybe they
cooked?

songbird

The word back from the horticulturalist at Burpee was
that I harvested it too soon. I should wait at lease
another months until all the foliage dies off and
falls off.

This makes sense as the bulbs were not hard.