Old 24-06-2017, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Reached My (Strawberry) Limit

On 6/24/2017 2:30 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
It looks like the major strawberry season is over. I went out this morning and only found four berries. However, that was just enough to give me nine pounds in the freezer; I'll thaw them in a few days to start a batch of strawberry Champagne.

A good portion of the crop was diverted to use in various deserts. My wife has already laid claim to next year's crop to make jam/jelly/preserves.

Paul

My wife likes strawberries, I don't. We gave up growing them at this new
house because the !@#$% Mockingbirds get them all eaten by daylight. Now
we're fighting the mockers for the figs. They will also peck a tomato
but then they don't eat it.

Unfortunately they are a protected bird in Texas. Hopefully I can start
sniping them below where anyone can see them falling behind the fence.
BSEG.

We had a wee rain today and hope for more. Was out at dusk yesterday and
the purple martins and the barn swallow were snatching mosquitoes out of
the air all the way to full dark. I do like those skeeter eaters being
here. The subdivision holding pond is behind our house by about a
hundred feet but we don't have many mosqsuitoes, thanks to the martins
and swallows. Not to mention the many frogs in the pond.

George