Old 25-06-2017, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Reached My (Strawberry) Limit

Pavel314 wrote:
It looks like the major strawberry season is over. I went out this morning and only found four berries. However, that was just enough to give me nine pounds in the freezer; I'll thaw them in a few days to start a batch of strawberry Champagne.

i'm not sure what my actual limit is but for
freezer jam it is about 24 pints, plus all we
can eat for shortcakes.

this season was scant for me. 9 pints of jam
(3 rather weak in color as i used the more ripe
ones for faux-shortcakes). 1 pint of smushed
berries for shortcake sometime this winter.
local berries are pretty expensive this season.

A good portion of the crop was diverted to use in various deserts. My wife has already laid claim to next year's crop to make jam/jelly/preserves.

that is what happens here too. eat fresh first
and then whatever is left goes to jam or frozen
crushed berries for winter shortcakes. i'm not
much into drinking so nothing goes that direction
but i've wanted to make syrup sometime and see
how that fares.

songbird