Old 12-08-2017, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Muggles[_2_] Muggles[_2_] is offline

Default Rain, and lots of it

On 8/10/2017 6:44 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 8/9/2017 10:50 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/9/2017 4:01 PM, songbird wrote:
Muggles wrote:
I've never had any fruit worth eating when I planted cantaloupes.
Maybe, I just haven't figured out the trick to growing them, yet? LOL

are you in the south?

i'm thinking that if you start the plants
indoors early enough you can get a better
start on them and perhaps the stems can
be more resistant to the bugs then...

might be worth a try.

songbird

Come January or February I get the bug to start plants, and we have a
small greenhouse, too, but it's not finished, yet. I have lots of
intentions of doing all sorts of things, but then way-layed by real life!

My wife takes care of the small lawn and the small raised bed gardens
and also, her churches "Poor" garden, which is much more prolific then
our garden. She harvested a bushel of Longhorn okra yesterday and we had
fried okra for dinner, the rest went to the Poor Pantry. Seems the folks
that go there for food like okra too.

The church garden has been operating over thirty years now and all the
refuse going back into the soil makes it really rich soil. The church
has a state of the art composter and the whole place gets mowed every
week plus all the detritus from the poor pantry.

We get three newspapers a week and they get shredded after reading and
go into our composter along with the kitchen cleanings so we're slowly
turning our raised beds into fertile soil. Funny thing, one cantaloupe
was growing in a corner of the bed, it had two flat sides and one round
side but was still edible. I'm thinking of making a square box for
another fruit to grow in. The great grands would get a kick out of a
square cantaloupe. G

George

LOL sounds like fun!

--