Old 13-08-2017, 11:09 AM
leiela leiela is offline
Registered User

Default Greenhouse Position

Hi there,

First post so please be kind. i'm not an avid gardener more an ethusiastic amature. I moved house a few months ago, in my old house i had a simple garden, lawn in the middle and some beds i used to grow fruit and vegatables in. However by the time i got an interest in gardening we already knew we'd out grown the house so there was no point considering things like greenhouses.

In the new house i have a reasonably large garden and i've been looking forward to having enough space to get a greenhouse.

However now im in the house i've realised that there really isn't a 'Good' position to put the greenhouse... im in the northwest of england.

The Garden is Northwest facing at the bottom of the garden there is a massive Mediterranean chestnut tree that blocks alot of light and shades the entire bottom portion of the garden. At the top of the garden is the house... the house is an old victorian house and that blocks the early morning light from the top half of the garden.

As the day goes on the sun moves from East to the West the light moves around the garden,

In the morning the middle portion of the west border gets full sun. (Upper and lower portions are in shade because of the house/tree)

In the middle of the day, the middle portion of east/west borders get direct light but again top and bottom do not.

Then at the end of the day the mid/top portion of the east border get light.

Unfortunately the only 'Practical spot' to place a greenhouse where it wouldn't be in the way or in the middle of the flower beds would be at the bottom of the garden beneath the tree which is clearly not going to work as that area gets no sunlight, infact even the grass struggles because it's deep shade.

The second spot is on the east wall at the top of the garden, unfortunately that is also a rubbish spot because again it really get's no direct light because of the house/6ft West wall.

Is there any point putting a greenhouse in a position that gets no/little direct sunlight? or should i write off the idea and stick to growing a few veggy's or is there anything i can do to improve the situation.