Old 05-09-2017, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Asha Santon Asha Santon is offline

Default Cyclamen (persica) update

On 2017-09-05 10:39:48 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 11:32:02 +0100, Asha Santon
wrote:

My trusty cyclamen is currently 25cm high, 30cm across, and has twenty flowers.
For the first time, some flower heads are turning to fruit so some
seeds may be forthcoming. I have no idea if these would be viable.
Previously, after the petals had fallen, the stems just withered and
died. Many old stems are still doing so but about half a dozen are
fruiting.

Another six weeks to go to complete one full year in flower.
I am planning to grow some outdoor cyclamen (from seed) next year
having formed something of an attachment to my indoor version.

ISTR that the approved action on dead flower stems is to pull them off
the corm, using a straight sharp pull. This encourages more flower
buds to grow, and also removes a potential source of rot.

But I could be wrong on all that. An expert will be along shortly to
correct me if I am!

I shall look forward to it. Thanks for the tip. I usually snip them off
with scissors as far down as is possible given the density of the
leaves.

Do remember that cyclamen require a few weeks rest before they start to
grow again for another season.

I haven't been able to find any references for that but perhaps more
importantly, how will I know when that should be? At the moment, the
fruit are developing so it probably does not wish to rest in the midst.
By the time they are done, it will be October anyway which is when it
previously liked to begin flowering.

It managed these things itself when in a north-facing window but since
it moved to the south, it has been having a fine old time. It always
maintained a basic set of leaves outside the flowering period and if I
deprive it of water, the leaves droop and prepare to die. If I do not
deprive it of water, it flowers like a mad thing. What did you have in
mind?

--
Asha
http://minnies.opcop.org.uk