Old 02-10-2017, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default october already!

On 10/1/2017 10:30 PM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
I'm into chestnut season. I don't save as many but like to shell and
freeze to use with stuffing turkey. I'll chomp on them in the evening
with a glass of wine but they last less than 2 months in the
refrigerator as they do not keep like fatty nuts such as peanuts.

i didn't think there were any of those
trees still around any longer?

I hate to leave them for the deer and the squirrels and saturate my
friends with them. Invited neighbors over today to pick up as much as
they wanted.

in the days before the fungi they were a major
source of fodder for animals in the forest and
many people would let pigs run to fatten up and
then...

songbird

Mine are Chinese chestnuts. The American chestnut is supposedly
returning and a few years ago I tried a few of these chestnuts and they
tasted the same. I don't think the wood of the Chinese tree is as good
as the American tree.