Old 02-10-2017, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default october already!

On 10/2/2017 6:33 AM, Frank wrote:
On 10/1/2017 10:30 PM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
I'm into chestnut season.Â* I don't save as many but like to shell and
freeze to use with stuffing turkey. I'll chomp on them in the evening
with a glass of wine but they last less than 2 months in the
refrigerator as they do not keep like fatty nuts such as peanuts.

Â*Â* i didn't think there were any of those
trees still around any longer?

I hate to leave them for the deer and the squirrels and saturate my
friends with them.Â* Invited neighbors over today to pick up as much as
they wanted.

Â*Â* in the days before the fungi they were a major
source of fodder for animals in the forest and
many people would let pigs run to fatten up and
then...

Â*Â* songbird

Mine are Chinese chestnuts.Â* The American chestnut is supposedly
returning and a few years ago I tried a few of these chestnuts and they
tasted the same.Â* I don't think the wood of the Chinese tree is as good
as the American tree.

I have never seen an American chestnut, don't think they grew in my part
of Texas. Have eaten Chinese chestnuts, do they have the same taste?

George