Old 02-10-2017, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default october already!

On 10/2/2017 8:36 AM, Frank wrote:
On 10/2/2017 7:58 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/2/2017 6:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 10/1/2017 10:34 PM, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
A friend of ours has several large black walnut trees in her yard.
She can't use them all so she invited us up to gather as many as we
wanted. We went up there last week and came home with three
five-gallon pails full. My wife is processing them; she says it
reminds her of her childhood in the mountains of eastern Tennessee.

Â*Â* there's a lot of black walnut trees around
here, the squirrels drop them in the road and
let people run over them.

Â*Â* last time i picked a bunch of black walnuts
and shelled them out i made some black walnut
cookies.Â* it was a lot of work but worth it.
i tried making walnut cookies with regular
walnuts, but they just weren't the same...

Â*Â* i will likely buy some black walnuts next
time i make those kind of cookies.Â* my hands
are too useful to risk more damage like that.

Â*Â* songbird

I made the mistake of planting a couple of English walnuts.Â* Never
got any nuts as squirrels would get to them before they even matured.
Early this year one got blown over and I had it removed but it
displaced the other and it is not tolerating it well so I have to
have it removed.

Been over 40 years ago that we moved into this house when it was new
and I am still correcting my planting mistakes with trees and bushes.

Been there, done that. Every house we've lived in has been spruced up,
the gardens done to our wants, then we move on to my next job as I
climbed the management of safety in chemical plants and refineries
around the world. I'm pretty sure we're going to stay in this house
until we're either dead or gone to a nursing home. Small property but
wife has most of the ground covered with flowers, etc. and our small
vegetable garden. At our age that's about what we can handle. I keep
the books, wife keeps the small lawn mowed, and takes care of the
gardens. I also do most of the cooking and cleaning. Can't walk well
on uneven ground but can get around with my cane in the house. Works
well for us and has been working well for a goodly amount of time.

George, up early to feed the dawg, as usual.

I have nearly an acre on a sloped lot.Â* Very hilly neighborhood and most
of the neighbors on my street let back yards grow wild but wife likes
ours mowed which is getting increasingly harder to get mower down hill.
Too steep for a riding mower.Â* I lucked out this year with a next door
neighbor cutting the back which he can access from his lot with his
rider.Â* He does it for the cost of the fuel which in this instance is an
occasional case of Heineken.Â* Unfortunately he is moving due to new job
for his wife so next year I may have to hire someone.

Will have three new neighbors on both sides and back next year.Â* Most
important is one in the back to access back yard from his driveway
running entire length of my lot.Â* Tree cutter has used it a couple of
times and will need it again when leaves are down in a couple of months.
Our son loves this house and would have bought it except for the 2-3
acres it is on are so sloppy and 700 ft drive is too much.Â* I had
another neighbor down the road with 22 acres with a 0.4 mile drive.Â* He
died at age 90 but was still an adjunct professor at U. of Delaware who
walked to work nearly 10 miles away, believe it or not.

I can believe that, my Uncle Gus lived to be 91 and was blind and deaf
then. He was my father's next down brother and a good man, was a member
of three different unions and worked until he was in his late sixties
and didn't want to retire then but was forced out. He didn't want to NOT
work, not many people can say that. I retired at 65 as a lone wolf
safety professional, was very sick, docs said I would be dead soon. Gave
my business to a very good friend who couldn't afford to buy it but we
got gifts every month for two years, not asked for but given for thanks.
He grew the company to ten times the income I had pulled in but I didn't
want to work to much. G Now his two sons are running the business and
doing well. Makes me feel good that I started something that keeps
paying off to the people I like. Nowadays I nap a lot, read lots of
books, watch tv, brush and bathe the dog, cook meals for us, do the
grocery shopping, then more naps. My body is not doing much for me, to
many years of climbing towers, hauling loads, arthritis, diabetes, heart
disease, etc. (all of which run in the men of my family) but I can still
teach the grands and great grands, and, I hope, the great great grands
if I can still keep going.