Old 07-10-2017, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default october already!

On 10/7/2017 7:52 AM, Frank wrote:

I finally gave in and retired completely after seeing how bad some
companies were and are still. Stopped writing safety manuals and just
said the hell with it. I'm much happier and much healthier since I
hung up my hard hat. Still have problems from long ago strokes and
heart attacks but still kicking along at age 78. Just got my DNA test
back last night and it is not what my parents claimed. I'm not a half
breed Native American, only less than 1% Native, my folks claimed
more. Of course there was no DNA tests when they were young and just
knew what their parents told them. Dang!

Interesting.Â* I got mine back a couple of weeks ago and it was unusual.
I thought I was half Italian and half Lithuanian but Italian part is
only 20% and rest is central and eastern European. 14% European Jew
which I guess means the tribes of that region that migrated to Europe.

One daughter in laws sister is into genealogy and is a member of the
DAR.Â* She had the test and found 2% African and demanded her parents
take the test to see where it came from.Â* My daughter in law thinks this
is funny and when I asked her what she thought she said it just means an
ancestor was adventuresome.Â* Our new granddaughter is 1% African and I
told my lawyer son that it is good and would qualify her as a minority
who could become a law professor at Harvard.

In the south of the USA there are probably a tint of African blood in a
lot of people. Could be even from when our family was still in the home
land, overseas. I see nothing to worry about in my bloodline, just
waiting for wife's DNA to come in. Her folks were mostly German and
English so it should be interesting too. My folks and hers have been
gone a good while. I have one half sister still living but in late
eighties and lives in a nursing home now. We haven't spoken in 20 years
or more and there won't be any before we are both gone. I'm hoping to go
to sleep one night and not wake up. I've had enough surgeries, etc. and
am still kicking, well, can't kick, can only walk on flat surfaces, but
I can still get around with my cane so I'm happy. I have about a dozen
canes, mostly bought when we were exploring Asia and Europe. Couldn't
carry a gun so carried a heavy cane. My favorite cane rides in my car
and has several nicks in the heavy lacquer that hides the iron wood. G