Old 07-10-2017, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default october already!

On 10/7/2017 12:39 PM, Frank wrote:
On 10/7/2017 9:48 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/7/2017 7:52 AM, Frank wrote:

Interesting.Â* I got mine back a couple of weeks ago and it was
unusual. I thought I was half Italian and half Lithuanian but Italian
part is only 20% and rest is central and eastern European. 14%
European Jew which I guess means the tribes of that region that
migrated to Europe.

One daughter in laws sister is into genealogy and is a member of the
DAR.Â* She had the test and found 2% African and demanded her parents
take the test to see where it came from.Â* My daughter in law thinks
this is funny and when I asked her what she thought she said it just
means an ancestor was adventuresome.Â* Our new granddaughter is 1%
African and I told my lawyer son that it is good and would qualify
her as a minority who could become a law professor at Harvard.

I think it's funny too. Probably most folks including Swede's etc. have
African blood. People are people when it comes to getting it on.

I was surprised that neither wife or I had any african trace.Â* Her and a
son had done theirs before me.Â* Her parents were of Greek extraction
born in Turkey.Â* She had told me that I was responisble for the 7%
European Jew in our son and I figured that her family lines were closer
to that area but she was right.Â* I sent my results to my brother and
told him he did not need to get his.

That's the people are people thing again. Ma Nature is always at work.

I still have all my facilities but they just do not work as well.Â* I
walked 2 miles this morning but was walking 4 last year. Kness started
bothering me doing it every day. Mentioned that I am giving up hunting
as all I have access to is public land and not being handicapped cannot
hunt the closest stands.Â* Last year I had to walk a mile and a quarter
to reach the assigned stand in muzzle loader season.Â* Also getting up at
3 am to get on the road by 4 and get there by 5 to claim stand drawn in
lottery is no fun.Â* I was almost late getting the stand because of road
construction.

Tell me about it, took one of those tests to see how smart you are many
years ago, came out with an IQ of 145, I would bet now that it is half
that now. G

Went to my shooting club yesterday after over 4 months and was surprised
how poor shooting was until I started practicing.Â* Things really get out
of tune without practice.Â* I do have early stage AMD which affects
target accquisition.

I mentioned before, I think, I was a gunsmith, ran a gun shop, hunted
every season, built my own guns from old military rifles, my favorite is
a 6.5 that I built on a Italian rifle from WWII with a new barrel,
stock, etc. Put down a lot of deer and hogs with it. Have five firearms
and a pistol in the gun cabinet near by and just clean them annually. My
grandsons want nothing to do with weapons or hunting so I will probably
sell them one day. Can't walk in the field or woods, can't afford a
hunting lease, don't want to go into public lands during hunting season
since I saw the results in the newspaper. Life is a bitch and then you
die. Old Texas words.

Most important to maintain is mental facilities.Â* My father spent 5
years in a nursing home with multi infarct dementia after a stroke.Â* He
died at 88.Â* One of my classmates, the best athlete, just died of
dementia.Â* He excelled in all sports but won a football scholarship to
Maryland and was drafted by the pros.Â* He only spent a year there as at
6 feet tall and only 200 pounds was too small.Â* Could have been head
trauma but I've seen it in a lot of non-athletic friends.

Wife met our new family doctor yesterday and was given dementia test.
She said this morning, "I don't think I needed that test, what do you
think?"Â* Then said, "Don't answer that."

Mine does that occasionally, I just smile gently and go on about my
business with the smile still on. I haven't had a dementia test, YET.