Old 10-10-2017, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default What is a good overwinter onion?

On 10/09/2017 07:36 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 3:59:43 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
Hi All,

What is a good overwinter yellow onion? I am zone 6c.

Many thanks,
-T

Hi, T.

I asked my wife, who has been working with overwinter crops for some years now. Here's her reply:

"Territorial sells a yellow multiplier onion that has been overwintering for
us for years. They are small and make doubles.They also sell seed for supposedly overwintering regular large onions, but none have thrived for us: we're in 7B, Maryland. I'd have thought that would be similar to Oregon's cli=
mate where Territorial is, but apparently not."

She also said that the multiplier onions are good when harvested as green onions for salad.

Paul

Thank you!