Old 11-10-2017, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default What is a good overwinter onion?

On 10/11/2017 05:40 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

What is a good overwinter yellow onion? I am zone 6c.

i don't really know what you mean by
overwinter onion. i suppose i could look
that up, but imma not in the mood for that...

for storage or left in the ground?

here onions grow ok and if not careful
will spread like the garlic and take over.

i have thousands of seeds from some of
the bulbs that have flowered. i only plant
a few. they need to be thinned properly
to produce well.

if i took those and scattered them
around i'd have more onions than i could
possibly ever eat.

for an arid climate water is always the
limiting factor on producing good topsoil
and any veggies it will grow. mulches,
wind breaks, some shade during the worst
of the season may help increase size of
bulbs.

we grow the large yellow onions known
as sweet Kelcey or something like that.
they get very big and are not super strong.
for storage i pull them when they're done
and cure them and they keep for several
months. we usually use them all up long
before they go bad.

songbird

By "over winter", I mean to plant them in the fall.
To me "over winter" is CHEATING!!!

What do you mean by "cure them"?

-T