Old 11-10-2017, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default What is a good overwinter onion?

On 10/11/2017 08:35 AM, wrote:
T wrote:

What is a good overwinter yellow onion?

What is that?

Down here in the sunny short-day south, nearly everything overwinters
with little provocation. I plant onion seeds in September or October;
transplant them between late November and January, pull them up sometime
in May and lJune. This year's were transplanted into beds on 14 January
and the last was harvested on 30 May. I find it important to transplant
while the sets are truly juvenile and not "too big" because it seems to
reduce doubling, to which the variety I grow is inclined. At any rate,
I pull them up when most of them are the desired size for the kitchen.
Waiting for the tops to fall over or breaking the tops to stop bulb
development is, as far as I can tell, pointless. I don't grow sweet
onions but grow a short day savory "cooking" cultivar for kitchen use.
Not particularly "hot" but they'll really open the sinuses when eaten
raw on a 'burger, for example!

I was looking to plant mine in a month or two.

Our growing season is from June to October. It
is very short. I love to over winter my garlic.
Garlic Scapes are my first harvest. Over winter
is just CHEATING!!!