Old 12-10-2017, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default What is a good overwinter onion?

wrote:
T wrote:

I was looking to plant mine in a month or two.

Seeds? Bulblets ("sets")? Transplants from seeds started elsewhere? I
plant seeds for my own transplants New seeds every year. Also grow
other onions for their tender tops; they do not make bulbs. Some of
those are allowed to bloom. As far as I know, alliums are hardy to
temps far lower than occur here. I'd guess that snow cover protects
your very early onions from super cold frigid air, wind burn, frostbite,
etc.

if it were to be from seeds they should be
planted ASAP as far as i understand things.
might even be too late... this month is
going too fast.

for sets or transplants it would likely be
ok now. some mulch probably a good idea, but
as of yet i've not found many alliums to be
that picky as long as they don't get dried out
completely while frozen (aka freeze dried).

i have some species here that will survive
as a very tiny bulb (like the size of a BB -
a few mm around) laying on top of the soil
all through the winter. snow cover helps
but not needed. when you have a few
thousand of them you don't get too worried.
hard as heck to get rid of once established...

grape hyacynths and purple alliums i have
are both tough to get rid of from an area
without having to resort to smothering
entirely. and i've quarantined the garlic
chives (molly) to a spot that they've not
yet escaped. *whew* i just have them for
the yellow flowers, we don't actually use
it for cooking, or at least not yet...

Our growing season is from June to October.

Do you start many vegies indoors?

songbird