Old 13-10-2017, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default october already!

On 10/13/2017 2:28 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/13/2017 1:05 PM, wrote:
songbird wrote:

Â* i'm not sure where September went.Â* too quickly
by for sure...

Â*Â*Â*Â*Yep, and October keeps on slip slip slipping into the future, too.
Something et the Slenderette bean bush babies last night.Â* Not a
cutworm; cutworm would have left the tops behind.Â* I'm thinking
grasshopper or, maybe the furry soft-bodied thing that 's eating a
Delinel seedling top over in another bed ;-)Â* Assuming it had walked a
good distance to get there, I left it undisturbed.Â* Got a photo, though.
If I can identify the beast, I'll be more able to determine whether just
to plan on re-planting the Delinels,Â* too, and letting the beast have
its way with these.Â* I mean, everything has to eat.Â* Only problem is
that, if this is _not_ a typically warm autumn, I'm running out of time
for the beans.Â* Been a while since I had to make a fire before late
November but I remember some cold-ass halloweens, too.Â* The weather
already has begun to cool: Right now {13 Oct.12:31 P (13:31)}, it's
86°(F) on my always shaded front porch; overnight low (same location,
same t'meter) was 75°(F).

Here in Harris Cty, TX it is alarming if we get a freeze before November
and, sometimes, December, and, the occasional, "where the heck did
winter go?" We're getting a few mornings with 63F and by noon it's over
90F. I don't miss cold weather but it does kill a few bugs when it comes
in. We're getting more mosquitoes than usual for this time of year and
we still have mosquito hawks thank goodness.

I lived for a short while in Virginia, Maryland, and Rhode Island as a
young sailor so I don't really care for: A: snow, B: ice storms, C: cold
north winds, going into the far Arctic seas aboard an old WWII destroyer
with only the boilers for heat. It would help kill skeeters, etc. if we
got at least a short frost. G

At our age, I don't think we can tolerate as much cold and heat as we
did when younger. Warm climate is better but you need AC. We seldom
get 90 degree days but at start of summer when my AC would not come on I
got a backup portable AC and with power losses I have a backup generator.

I don't like snow much either but at least don't have to shovel it every
week. I remember my first trip to southern California watching my
brother in law cut grass in January.

Speaking of mosquitoes, I hear they are the state bird in Alaska. Who
would have thought that?

I had a coworker from Maine who got transferred to one of our plants on
the Gulf and hated it. Said he just ran from AC in house to AC in car
to AC at work. Twice a year they left the house to the exterminator to
get all the bugs.