Old 14-10-2017, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default review: Red Holland versus Grey Griselle Shallot

On 10/10/2017 09:29 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

This year I successfully grewÂ* (ya, me huh!) both
Red Holland and Grey Griselle Shallot.

Red Holland:
Â*Â* several bulbs the size of a golf ball
Â*Â* scapes (yummy!)
Â*Â* Taste of a yellow onion with a garlic overtone

Grey Griselle:
Â*Â* lots of little tiny bulbs the size of garlic cloves
Â*Â* sinks that can only be characterizes as "bark".
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* You have to "saw" through hem.
Â*Â* Taste of a yellow onion with a garlic overtone
Â*Â* no scapes :'(

Â*Â* EXTREMELY STRONG.Â* Can only be used in cooking.
Â*Â* A "sliver" will cause severe pain in your sinuses and
Â*Â* make your stomach lurch so hard you will almost puke.

Lessons learned:
Â*Â* they like to be watered like any other plant.
Â*Â* They like acid soil.Â* The bulbs with more peat moss
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* around them grew bigger.

My conclusion is that both of these are a pain in the ass
to grow for the small amount of food they produce.Â* And
Both the wife and I like Yellow Onions better.Â* So next
year it is yellow onions instead!

I have my eye on "Senshu Yellow" yellow onions.Â* They over winter
and like zones 5 and 6 (I am 6c).Â* Plus they give a half
pound bulb.

Oh, and I found three now deceased earwigs hiding inside the Griselle
clumps of shallows, which answers that question.