Old 14-10-2017, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default october already!

wrote:
songbird wrote:

i'm not sure where September went. too quickly
by for sure...

Yep, and October keeps on slip slip slipping into the future, too.

sure is, and with recent rains not much is getting
done outside that i'd want to finish. i hate being
stuck inside even if i have plenty to do.

family things have taken away the three nicest days
this week. i got one day in on the project. that's
it. grrr!

the hole i'm moving around as i excavate and renovate
had standing water at the bottom of it the other day.
which is a large change from solid clay/sand i could
break a finger trying to poke a hole in. rained again
last night and is due for the weekend. they've even
got us under flood watch. from drought to flood
forecast. 3 inches of rain will put the project on
hold again for some days. at least all this rain
does settle all that dirt i've moved.

at least i did get out yesterday and tried to find
the last of the dry beans that were ready to pick before
they start rotting. the lima beans are growing/flowering
again. i'm still hoping for another two weeks of frost
free weather. 39F is the lowest night forecast for the
next week (so far) for Sunday night. low 40s here or
there. hopefully that won't shut down the limas. we'll
see. they are the only thing producing now unless i
want green peppers. i don't. i have jars of roasted
red peppers i'm finishing off eating.

Something et the Slenderette bean bush babies last night. Not a
cutworm; cutworm would have left the tops behind. I'm thinking
grasshopper or, maybe the furry soft-bodied thing that 's eating a
Delinel seedling top over in another bed ;-) Assuming it had walked a
good distance to get there, I left it undisturbed. Got a photo, though.
If I can identify the beast, I'll be more able to determine whether just
to plan on re-planting the Delinels, too, and letting the beast have
its way with these. I mean, everything has to eat. Only problem is
that, if this is _not_ a typically warm autumn, I'm running out of time
for the beans. Been a while since I had to make a fire before late
November but I remember some cold-ass halloweens, too. The weather
already has begun to cool: Right now {13 Oct.12:31 P (13:31)}, it's
86°(F) on my always shaded front porch; overnight low (same location,
same t'meter) was 75°(F).

yes, the critters gotta eat. deer found a radish
edible. knocked over the other one that was flowering
and making seeds. didn't eat it though. they've
sampled some of the ground cover i planted last year
and left it laying on the ground nearby. so perhaps
that deer won't bother it again. get that times a few
dozen deer and the plant will be challenged. we'll
see. we bought more poles to fix the back fence where
they are coming through and put up the front fence to
keep them from the small cedar trees we transplanted.
so that means less grass to mow out front. yay!
but it also meant losing another day hauling wood
chips (found a local source for $8/yd - which is much
cheaper than $3/bag and the hassle of moving them and
all that plastic baggage). the guy will scoop 'em
right into the back end of the pickup truck in one
shot.

well anyways, hope the critter doesn't raid
everything. we had something eating the beets and
the potatoes. not the greens, but the roots. i am
guessing the groundhogs, no footprint evidence though,
they seem rather smart in that regards. ha...

so i'm awake early, what's for breakfast?

p.s. we've not had the heat on yet, but last week
we almost turned on the AC (which would probably
be a first for Oct).

songbird